Meet Shawn! He and his wife, Amy, did their first CrossFit competition almost 2 years ago now.
1. How long have you been crossfitting? Since May of 2013. So going on 3 years now.
2. What is your favorite movement that we do in CrossFit? If I had to choose one it would probably be the back squat but close second would be squat snatch.
3. What was your biggest fear coming into CrossFit MO2DT? That I would suck at it. I had watched plenty of CrossFit You Tube clips of people doing things I couldn’t imagine being able to do. It seems silly now with a couple years of perspective but it’s intimidating when you’re a newbie.
4. What CF accomplishment are you most proud of? Getting a squat clean PR at the Festivus Games was pretty awesome. Squat Snatching 180 after 6 months of trying and failing. But more generally, turning weaknesses into strengths, like double unders, hand stand push ups (took me 6 months just to get inverted… you know, on the wall), and hopefully soon, muscle ups.
5. What's your 9-5 (job)? I have a snack food brokerage business with my Dad. Basically, I sell snacks to convenience store distributors and larger retail chains throughout the Midwest.
6. Other than CrossFit, what else do you like to do in your free time? What’s free time? I have 3 kids so most of my time is consumed by them and I wouldn’t have it any other way. I enjoy cooking for my family, hiking and rucking, playing softball and golf, and drinking scotch on the deck with my wife in the summer.
7. What keeps you coming back each day? The desire to be strong enough to be intimidating by the time my daughters start dating… in thirty years or so. Seriously though, I just want to get better as I get older and I love being around others who enjoy this CrossFit thing as much as I do.
8. If you could cherrypick a WOD what would you choose? My favorite WOD was the “Holleyman” Hero WOD: 30 rounds of 5 wall balls, 3 HSPU’s and a heavy power clean.
9. One thing your WOD friends don't know about you? I don’t know… maybe that I was a slacker and smoker throughout high school and most of college… and maybe a couple years after. Okay, pretty much until I met my wife.
10. Favorite "Cheat" Meal? Pizza. It’s always pizza… Unless it’s tacos… Or any kind of chips and dip.