Patrick has been with us for just at 7 months now. He's got some exciting news to share, read below!
1. How long have you been crossfitting? I’ve been crossfitting since mid-February. A Valentine to myself, you might say.
2. What is your favorite movement that we do in CrossFit? Power cleans are my favorite. I’m not yet working with a lot of weight, but it feels like a good benchmark exercise for whatever else we do.
3. What was your biggest fear coming into CrossFit MO2DT? My biggest fear was not being able to keep up. Then it was the feeling that I’d never Rx anything. Baby steps, though. It’s getting better, though also tougher, I notice, simply because my expectations are on the rise. The more I can do, the more I want to do.
4. What CF accomplishment are you most proud of? My first Rx’d workout. I can’t remember when it was, exactly, or the movements involved, but it felt good. It was about two or three months after I started, I think. I’m also picking up double unders (ten in a row now without stopping) and the kipping pull-ups (four or five in a row, but it ain’t pretty).
5. What's your 9-5 (job)? I teach in the Sociology Department at Grinnell College. I started out in a one-year visiting position in the fall of 2013 and then I transitioned into what’s called a “tenure-track” position in the fall of 2014—same work, same schedule, just more security in it. I teach, read, and write for a living. It’s not a typical 9-5 job. There’s not a lot of down time, but I wouldn’t want to do anything else with my days.
6. Other than CrossFit, what else do you like to do in your free time? Free time is more of what I do during “work” time: reading, writing, planning classes. Otherwise, I like going to the movies, checking out used bookstores, art exhibits, and music festivals.
7. What keeps you coming back each day? The workouts are great, so there’s that. But I also really enjoy the community feel. I just moved to Des Moines in May of 2015. It’s been a good way to meet people.
8. If you could cherrypick a WOD what would you choose? I’m not sure on the sequencing or number of reps, but I feel comfortable with anything involving wall balls, running, box jumps, thrusters, and sandbag get ups. Pull ups (strict or kipping) remain a challenge. Same with hand stand holds and hand stand push ups. Ugh.
9. One thing your WOD friends don't know about you? Since 2007, I’ve been working on a study of mostly poor and lower-caste golf caddies who work at private golf clubs in Bangalore, India (where I am right now, in fact; no crossfit for a few weeks, unfortunately). I look at how social and economic relationships with wealthy members of these golf clubs help or hinder the achievement of social mobility in a city known widely as India’s “Silicon Valley.” I finished my Ph.D. in 2013 at the City University of New York. Now I’m turning the original dissertation into a book, which I’m calling Upward Servility: Getting By and Falling Behind in the New India. I just signed a contract with Oxford University Press. The book should come out in another year or so.
10. Favorite "Cheat" Meal? Anything chocolate. Peanut M&Ms are a fav. And pizza. And cookie dough ice cream